The High Route Chamonix-Zermatt / Bernina High Route / Ski Mont-Blanc
- technical level : tour reserved to very good skiers, perfectly experienced in off-piste skiing and in Ski-Mountaineering. The tour includes steep slopes. You also practise mountaineering, as you will have to ascend some summits of the tour using crampons and ice axe.
- fitness level : you are in very good shape, practizing 3 times a week outdoor and endurance sports. The average pace is 1,300 feet of rise per hour, with a difference of level climbed each day rising from 3,200 to 4,600 feet. On Bernina tour, one day with 4,900 feet to climb. On Mont-Blanc ascent, one day with 5,900 feet to climb.
Ski the High Route ("the Haute Route") from Chamonix to Zermatt, 5 days, departures each Monday from 12 of March till 30 of April 2018, group of 5 or 6 skiers, guided by a French Mountain Guide speaking fluently English with a near-native comprehension, expert of Ski-Mountaineering on the Haute Route, PRICE 963 Euros. Special price on the 9 of April departure : 933 €.
Backcountry Skiing Chamonix to Zermatt Haute Route : linking the two famous cities of Mountaineering, Chamonix and Zermatt, through the "Haute Route Chamonix Zermatt", the dream of all skiers.
From 12,454 feet to 4,593 feet of height, from the Swiss glaciers to the mountain pastures of Champex and Zmutt, Chamonix - Zermatt High Level Route offers magnificent descents, close to the most famous North Faces of the Alps: Aiguille Verte, Argentière Peak, Hérens Peak, Matterhorn. The last stage is known worldwide as the most beautiful stage of all the Swiss Ski tours.
Our Winter Chamonix-Zermatt Haute Route :
- according to the safety rules of the "Compagnie des Guides de Chamonix Mont-Blanc", we have chosen to post one mountain guide for six skiers maximum. This choice has been made for your safety, but it also provides a saving of time in the technical parts of the Haute Route.
- a departure on Saturday: as most of the groups begin this tour on Sundays, our departures on Saturdays enable us to profit from peaceful mountain huts
- the classic and complete route: much more beautiful and wild than the shortened route which passes by the city of Arolla, the classic route by Mont Fort, Arolla's Pigne and Valpelline pass has been chosen by us since 9 years. We did not choose the route which goes through Bourg Saint Pierre, more difficult, and often presenting high risks of avalanches.
- mountain huts kept by hutkeepers, places booked : you spend four nights in mountain huts, all kept, where your places are always booked. So you will not have to sleep ... on the ground, as it may happen in the tiny hut of PraFleuri. We chose to stop for night at Mont-Fort hut, which offers hot showers and small bedrooms with 4 or 6 beds.
- hot showers by Mont-Fort hut and Vignettes hut.
- one night in Trient hut : on the first evening, you will spend the night in Trient hut, to ski with the best snow conditions. As the descent of the valley of Arpette, from Trient hut to Champex, can be dangerous in the afternoon, it is necessary to stop for the night in Trient hut : this will allow you to begin this descent on the next morning with excellent snow conditions, and to appreciate the warm welcome of the hutkeeper of Trient hut.
- access to Mont-Fort hut by skiing down from top of Gentianes cable-car (9,852 feet). Most of the groups go up by cable car till Les Attelas (8,966 feet), from where, after a short descent, skiers must push on their poles for two flat kilometers till Mont-Fort hut. We chose to go up by cable car till the Gentianes pass (9,852 feet), which offers a magnificent wiew on the Alps, and a nice descent down to Mont-Fort hut.
- the classic stage from Mont-Fort hut to Les Dix hut, to avoid the 5 miles entirely flat ... between Prafleuri hut and Les Dix hut.
- a departure guaranteed even if you are only five skiers, with no extra charge.
- the stage from Vignette's hut to Zermatt : from the pass of Valpelline to Zermatt, 6,500 feet of descent, two hours of exhilarating ski, with, in the afternoon, an easy return by train (not included in the price) to Chamonix, or to Paris via Lausanne. We chose not to stop in Schonbiel Hut during this way down, as going up to this hut needs one hour of difficult ascent, an exhausting effort in the end of a stage which includes the ascent of three passes ... So, this stage will finish in Zermatt.
- Your Fench Mountain Guide speaks fluently English, and has skied many times the Haute Route.
- you can fill freely your water bottle with hot tea when leaving Dix hut and Vignettes hut.
To go back from Zermatt to Argentière, we use to reserve, only for clients interested, a private minibus which is allowed to pick us right in the center of Zermatt. A minibus transfer is faster than a train transfer (2 hours 15 minutes instead of 4 to 5 hours by train) and costs the same price than train : 70 EUR per person.
Chamonix Zermatt Ski Touring Haute Route, Itinerary : Meeting place in Argentière at 08. 00 a.m. (possibility of transfer from Geneva in our private car, please contact us for further information). Cable car up to les Grands Montets (10,810 feet), glacier of Argentière (8,300 feet), Passon pass (9,934 feet), Le Tour pass (10,768 feet), Trient hut (10,400 feet) / Valley of Arpette, transfer from Champex to Verbier by taxi-bus, Mont Fort hut (8,061 feet) / La Chaux pass (9,646 feet), Momin pass (9,852 feet), Les Dix hut (9,606 feet) / Pigne of Arolla (12,454 feet), Vignettes hut (10,479 feet) / Bishop pass (11,128 feet), Mont-Brulé pass (10,538 feet), Valpelline pass (11,706 feet), Zermatt (5,295 feet), separation at Zermatt in the beginning of the afternoon.
To go back from Zermatt to Argentière, we use to reserve, only for clients interested, a private minibus which is allowed to pick us right in the center of Zermatt. A minibus transfer is faster than a train transfer (2 hours 15 minutes instead of 4 to 5 hours by train) and costs the same price than train : 60 EUR per person.
Bernina Ski High Route, 7 days, departures each Sunday from 18 of March till 22 of April 2018, group of 6 or 7 skiers, guided by a French Mountain Guide speaking fluently English with a near-native comprehension, expert of Ski-Mountaineering in Bernina, PRICE 1077 Euros. Free roundtrip shuttle from Geneva Airport, contact us for further information.
In the Swiss canton of Grisons, famous for its hospitality, rises the first 13,000 feet summit to be met in the Alps when coming from the East, the Bernina.
During the Bernina Haute Route with skis, the glaciers are impressive, the ski is technical , and the sceneries have a wild beauty. In the heart of this welter of faces and seracs, which create landscapes close to the Himalaya's ones, you will ski the wildest tour of Switzerland, with a last stage skiing down "Alp Grüm", which is regarded by many Guides as the most beautiful ski-tour slope of the Alps.
If you seek solitude and change of scene, this tour is yours. Considering the difficulty of the tour, the stages have been chosen to minimize the ascents with heavy bagpacks.
Bernina ski tour : Meeting place at Saint-Moritz at 11. 30 am (Free roundtrip shuttle from Geneva Airport, contact us for further information.), transfer to Diavolezza, cable car up to Diavolezza hut (9,754 feet), Mount Pers (10,522 feet), Diavolezza hut / Piz Palü (12,736 feet), Boval hut (8,186 feet) / Bernina twin Peak (13,189 feet), Boval hut / Piz Tschierva (11,634 feet), Tschierva hut (8,474 feet) / Chapütschin (11,109 feet), Coaz hut (8,563 feet) / Dschimels (11,486 feet), Piz Sella (11,519 feet), Marinelli hut (9,229 feet) / Sasso Rosso pass (11,516 feet), Alp Grüm, Saint-Moritz. Separation at Saint-Moritz in the beginning of the afternoon.
- Mont Blanc Ski-Mountaineering Training course, 5 days, departures each Sunday from 18 of March till 13 of May 2018, guided by a French Mountain Guide speaking fluently English with a near-native comprehension, expert of Mont Blanc, PRICE 1,145 Euros. One Mountain Guide with 4 to 6 skiers during the Grand Paradiso ascent. One Mountain Guide with 2 skiers during Mont-Blanc ascent.
- Skiing Mont Blanc, 2 days, for skiers well acclimatized to altitude, departures each Tuesday from 20 of March till 15 of May 2018, guided by a French Mountain Guide speaking fluently English with a near-native comprehension, expert of Mont Blanc, PRICE 765 Euros. One Mountain Guide with two skiers during Mont-Blanc ascent.
Ski Mont Blanc : Altitude 15,781 feet / 4,810 meters, the highest point of a Ski-Mountaineering season, with 8,200 feet downhill on North Face, from top of Mont Blanc to Plan de l'Aiguille. To train for and to succeed this challenge, you will first spend two days acclimatizing with the ascent of Grand Paradiso (13,323 feet). Then, after one night to rest in Chamonix, you will spend two other days to climb and ski the Mont-Blanc. This programme also includes one extra day to be used in case of bad weather conditions.
5 days Mont-Blanc ski tour: Meeting place at Chamonix at 09.30 am (possibilities of departure from Geneva airport, contact us for further information), transfer to Pont (6,430 feet), ascent to Vittorio-Emanuele II hut (8,963 feet) / Grand Paradiso (13,323 feet), Pont, transfer to Chamonix / cable car up to Plan de l'Aiguille (7,579 feet), Grands Mulets hut (10,006 feet) / Mont Blanc (15,781 feet), Plan de l’Aiguille, cable car down to Chamonix / extra day to be used in case of bad weather conditions. Separation at Chamonix around 3 pm.
2 days programme: Meeting place at Chamonix at 08.00 am (possibilities of departure from Geneva airport, contact us for further information), cable car up to Plan de l'Aiguille (7,579 feet), Grands Mulets hut (10,006 feet) / Mont Blanc (15,781 feet), Plan de l ’Aiguille, cable car down to Chamonix. Separation at Chamonix around 3 pm.
Safety : to avoid passing too much time under the seracs of Grand Plateau glaciers during the ascent to Mont-Blanc, we will ascend Mont-Blanc by the Dôme du Goûter route. The descent of Mont-Blanc will pass by Grand Plateau and Petit Plateau.