Glacier trek in Vanoise, Vanoise National Park glaciers, 7 days, departure each Sunday from 10 of June till 2 of September 2018, group of 6 to 8 hikers.
PRICE 899 Euros. Including guide fees and all his expenses, and your half-pension in all the huts. Not included : drinks, personal expenses, renting boots, ice-axe, crampons. We freely provide a mountaineering harness to all participants.
Starting from Pralognan-la-Vanoise, this tour will bring you right in the heart of the National Park. You will hike on the widest ice cap of Europe, climbing its most famous and easy peaks : Dômes of Genepi, Arpont, Chasseforêt, Sonnailles. You will then descend to wild small valleys where ibexes and marmots are hiding.
This glacier trek, in a mountain range protected from any damaging effects, is a hymn to Nature.
Day by day programme :
- Day 1 : Meeting in Pralognan-la-Vanoise at 11 am. Footpath to Pont de la Pêche (5,787 feet). Small valley of Chavière, Péclet Polset hut (8,117 feet). Night at the hut.
Duration of walking: 5 hours. Difference of level : 3,465 feet up, 0 feet down.
- Day 2 : a day with light backpacks. A easy footpath leads us to the col du Soufre (9,248 feet), where begins our ascent on Gébroulaz glacier. You will rope on, adjust your crampons, and easily acquire the techniques of walking with crampons, linked to other members of your roped party, on the way up to Dôme de Polset summit (10,912 feet). From the summit, fantastic wiew of all mountain groups till Mont-Blanc. We come back to Péclet Polset hut, following the ascent route. Night at the hut.
Duration of walking: 5 hours and a half. Difference of level : 2,795 feet up, 2,795 feet down.
- Day 3 : Today we will pass from Tarentaise side to Maurienne side, through the wild pass of "Brêche de la Croix de la Rue" (9,459 feet). As the stage is not very long, we will have breakfast on the sunny terrace of Péclet Polset hut, before to go up, through nice small valleys till the pass, where we may see chamois and ibex. From the pass, easy footpath till Fond d'Aussois, and then to Dent Parrachée hut (8,238 feet). Night at the hut.
Duration of walking: 4 hours. Difference of level : 1,998 feet up, 1,877 feet down.
- Day 4 : we leave the hut a dawn, going up, through mountain pastures and moraines to the small Fond glacier, where we rope on. Up on the glacier, we go up till Labby pass, 10,919 feet. There begins the famous descent of the Mahure glacier, close to the impressive North face of Dent Parrachée peak, avoiding crevasses and seracs. By the altitude 8,500 feet, we leave the glacier, and then follow a footpath till Arpont hut (7,575 feet). Night at the hut.
Duration of walking: 6 to 7 hours. Difference of level : 3,366 feet up, 4,029 feet down.
- Day 5 : maybe the most beautiful stage of the tour. Leaving the hut at dawn, the footpath avoids steep and small cliffs, and reaches the Arpont glacier by the height 8,900 feet. A long ascent on the glacier, in the rising sun leads us to the Arpont pass (11,500 feet). Ascent of the Dôme de l'Arpont (11,808 feet) and of the Dôme de Chasseforêt (11,765 feet). Way down back to the Arpont hut (7,575 feet). Night at the hut.
Duration of walking: 7 hours. Difference of level : 4,232 feet up, 4,232 feet down.
- Day 6 : a second day on the ice cap. We first follow the GR5 footpath, passing close to Chasseforêt lake, and then head up to the Pelve pass (9,816 feet). Optional ascent of Dôme des Sonnailles (11,026 feet). Ascent of Pointe du Dard peak (10,518 feet). Descent, on Roche Ferran Glacier, till Réchasse peak (10,006 feet). Then following chamois tracks, we arrive at Félix-Faure hut (8,254 feet). Night at the hut.
Duration of walking: 8 hours. Difference of level : 2,943 feet up, 2,264 feet down.
- Day 7 : the last day of the tour. We will climb to the Grande Casse pass, 10,157 feet, a beautiful wiew point on the Grande Casse north face, where we may see roped parties climbing this steep face. Descent to Pralognan, by the Lac des Vaches footpath, and the Glière chalets.
Separation in Pralognan by the beginning of afternoon.
Duration of walking: 5 hours. Difference of level : 1,903 feet up, 5,505 feet down.